Motor industry calls for €2k VRT cut to help car buyers
A recent article by Eddie Cunningham in the Independent.ie highlights VRT on motor vehicles with a call from the Society of the Irish Motor Industry (SIMI) for a €2,000 reduction in Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) to help buyers of older cars to buy new.
VRT on motor vehicles
The Government is being called on today to cut the price of a new car by €2,000 where the vehicle traded against it is six years or older.
The SIMI says the €2,000 VRT rebate in such a ‘Swappage Scheme’ would help create 2,200 jobs because an 17,000 additional cars would be sold.
And the extra sales would generate €129m extra in taxes for the Exchequer, SIMI says in its Budget submission.
If you have recently purchased a new car and require car insurance contact our dedicated in house team. We’ll compare a wide range of products from trusted insurers to find the best deal for you:
- Personal service and expert advice from our team.
- Forget anonymous call centres – a dedicated team will look after you at Wright Insurance Brokers.
- Spread the cost with an easy payment option.
- A selection of our motor policies include 24 hour breakdown, comprehensive driving of other cars, full no claim bonus protection, windscreen cover and fatal accident cover.
Wright Insurance Brokers also offers quotations on:
- Classic and vintage car insurance.
- Driving instructor insurance.
- Insurance for modified vehicles for disability.
- Performance car insurance.
- Insurance for drivers with provisional licenses.